With fierce attention to detail, Caitlin Grant is a determined advocate in commercial real estate disputes, including landlord-tenant, adverse possession, and easement proceedings. She also advises clients on general commercial litigation throughout Maryland, the District of Columbia, and Virginia.
Caitlin helps commercial property owners and tenants resolve real estate disputes both in and out of court, including issues like unpaid or late rent, evictions, property damage or defects, tenant rights, repairs, lease renewals and terminations, common area maintenance, and leasehold improvements. She also represents property owners in disputes related to title and easements. She does this by analyzing the best path forward for her clients, whether that is settlement or trial, and then preparing extensively.
In addition to real estate-related matters, Caitlin represents business owners, condominiums, management companies, and nonprofits in many general business disputes, including contract matters, discrimination and unpaid wages allegations, unfair housing claims, and tax exemptions. She also serves as local counsel in both federal and state courts for a variety of civil matters.
A Bethesda native, Caitlin is a graduate of Georgetown Visitation, Georgetown University, and American University Washington College of Law. She serves on the board of Rebuilding Together. Caitlin also enjoys playing golf and sailing, especially in scenic locations like her favorite getaway in Chautauqua, New York.
- American University Washington College of Law (J.D., cum laude, 2010)
- Georgetown University (B.A. in Government, cum laude, 2007)
- District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court, District of Maryland
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Virginia
- The Honorable Nelson W. Rupp, Jr. (Circuit Court for Montgomery County, Maryland)
Honors and awards
- Listed as “Rising Star” by Maryland Super Lawyers (2014 – present)
- Listed as “Rising Star” by DC Super Lawyers (2014 – present)
- Bar Leader, Bar Association of Montgomery County (2017 – present)
- Rebuilding Together Montgomery County (Board of Directors Member, 2019-2020; Secretary of the Board, 2020-present)
- Catholic Charities of the Archdiocese of Washington (Pro bono legal representation)
- Lawyers’ Campaign Against Hunger (Advocate)
- Special Olympics (Volunteer)
- Shepherd’s Table/ Homeless Persons’ Representation Project (Volunteer)
- Hoya Gateway Program, Georgetown University
- Maryland State Bar Association
- Bar Association of Montgomery County, Maryland (New Practitioner’s Section Co-chair, 2014-2016; Executive Committee, 2014-2016; Strategic Planning Committee, 2014-present; Social Media & Technology Committee, 2016-present; Silent Auction Committee Co-chair (Fall Outing Committee), 2012-present)
- Montgomery County, Maryland Inn of Court (2013-2014)
- Montgomery County Bar Foundation, Board of Directors (2016-present)
- Women’s Bar Association of Maryland, Montgomery County Chapter
- Virginia State Bar
- District of Columbia Bar
News & insights
Alternative Dispute Resolution: What to Know About Avoiding the Courtroom With the vast majority of lawsuits resolved without going to trial, companies should be aware of the pros and cons …
Caitlin Grant Admitted to Practice in Maryland and Virginia Litigation attorney Caitlin Grant has been admitted to practice in Maryland and Virginia. Lerch, Early & Brewer, located in Bethesda, Maryland, has …
Caitlin Grant Moderates Bar Association Law Day Panel Litigator Caitlin Grant recently moderated a panel at the Bar Association of Montgomery County, Maryland’s 121st annual Law Day on running a …
Caitlin Grant Named Co-Chair of the New Practitioner’s Section of the BAMC Litigation attorney Caitlin Grant recently was named co-chair of the New Practitioner’s Section of the Bar Association of Montgomery …
Caitlin Grant Named to Board of Rebuilding Together Montgomery County Cailtin Grant has been named to Rebuilding Together Montgomery County’s board of directors. Caitlin is a litigation attorney who represents clients …
Lerch Early Welcomes New Associates in Community Associations, Litigation and Lending and Real EstateTransactions
Lerch Early Welcomes New Associates in Community Associations, Litigation and Lending and Real EstateTransactions (September 12, 2011, Bethesda, Maryland) Lerch, Early & Brewer has added three new associates to its …
Litigator Caitlin Grant Named Principal at Lerch Early Lerch, Early & Brewer is pleased to name attorney Caitlin Grant as a principal in the firm. Caitlin is a determined advocate in …
Real Estate: Commercial Landlord-Tenant and Leasing
- Prevailed at trial in Circuit Court on behalf of commercial property owner on claim by tenant for $500,000.00 in damages for violations under the lease, tortious inference with business expectancy, and constructive eviction. Prevailed on client’s counterclaim and secured possession of commercial property and obtained money judgment against commercial tenant for its breaches of lease.
- Represented several petroleum industry entities, including a major mid-Atlantic petroleum distributor and jobber and a gas station owner and operator, in obtaining commercial premises from tenant and money judgments for unpaid rent and other damages.
- Obtained judgment for possession and money judgment of commercial space leased to restaurant in Bethesda on behalf of developer.
- Represent property owners in the DC metropolitan area in commercial lease disputes, evictions, and damages actions, obtaining judgments for possession of premises, and judgments for unpaid rent and other damages under commercial lease.
- Obtained judgment for possession of commercial space on behalf of shopping center landlord action against a commercial tenant violating the exclusive rights provision the lease with the shopping center’s anchor tenant (grocery store); negotiated favorable settlement.
Additional Real Estate Representation
- Successfully represented a school in construction claims against vendor.
- Obtained title to real property for an estate in a District of Columbia adverse possession dispute.
- Represented condominium association and homeowners in adverse possession and easement disputes.
- Represented commercial property owners in code violation cases involving Fairfax County Department of Code Compliance.
- Obtained dismissal of Circuit Court action against commercial real estate company regarding dispute over broker fees associated with a commercial lease.
- Obtained a dismissal of a lawsuit on behalf of a condominium owner regarding covenant violations under the condominium’s governing documents.
- Assisted in resolving residential code violations in Montgomery County on behalf of property owner through negotiations and settlement with the Montgomery County Office of the County Attorney and Department of Housing & Community Affairs.
General Commercial Representation
- Assisted in representation of major mid-Atlantic petroleum distributor and jobber in contract disputes, franchise disputes, and the federal Petroleum Marketing Practices Act (PMPA) actions.
- Obtained money judgments on behalf of luxury car dealership on service or purchase/lease contracts.
- Successfully defended senior living community in contract dispute with vendors.
- Obtained personal property tax exemption from the Maryland State Department of Assessments and Taxation and Attorney General’s office on behalf of major Montgomery County nonprofit organization.
- Served as local counsel in the U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland prosecuting a trademark infringement and unfair competition claim on behalf of North Carolina company.
- Served as local counsel in the U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland and Circuit Court for Montgomery County in conjunction with national law firm and succeeded in obtaining dismissals on behalf of clients in both Courts.
- Represented commercial property owner defending against a claim from one of the major international oil and gas companies regarding a petroleum use restriction in the property deed.
- Defended condominium association and management company against claims resulting from thefts by on-site general building manager to which manager pled guilty to criminal charges.
- Assisted in obtaining settlement on behalf of mid-size employer on discrimination claim by former employee.
- Assisted in obtaining settlement on behalf of international corporate employer on discrimination claim by former employee.
- Assisted in obtaining settlement on behalf of employer on claim by subcontractors for unpaid wages.
Disclaimer: Each case is different and past results do not guarantee similar results in future matters.