Stan Reed is a high profile litigator who represents individuals and corporations in complex civil and employment litigation and white-collar criminal defense work, as well as lawyers and health care providers in professional responsibility matters and investigations in Maryland and the District of Columbia. He also is noted for his adept handling of politically sensitive cases, grand jury investigations, and parallel proceedings.
Leading legal guide Chambers USA describes Stan as a “grandmaster strategist,” highlighting his “intuitive sense of the types of argument that will resonate with juries and judges,” as well as his “superb presentation and demeanor in trial.” In addition to his significant legal talent, clients note that he is “100% committed to [their] best interests” and that they “could not have chosen anyone better [because Stan has] always made us feel very important, as if we were the only ones needing assistance or help.”
He is one of just a handful of attorneys in Maryland recognized for excellence in litigation in multiple legal directories based on client and peer reviews. Chambers has named Stan a “Leader in His Field” in General Commercial Litigation every year since 2007. He also has been included in Best Lawyers in America each year since then. He is recognized in the fields of Criminal Defense: White-Collar and Criminal Defense: Non-White-Collar, and Best Lawyers has twice named him Washington, DC’s Ethics and Professional Responsibility Law “Lawyer of the Year,” most recently for 2018. Stan also has been listed as a top litigator in the Maryland, Washington, DC, and Business editions of Super Lawyers since 2008.
Stan was named one of “Washington’s Top Trial Lawyers” by Washingtonian magazine in 2007, one of their “Elite Criminal Defenders” in 2009, a “Star of the Bar” for Crime and Punishment in 2011, and one of “Washington’s Top Legal Minds” for Criminal Defense in 2013. In 2015 and 2017, the magazine selected him as the only white-collar criminal attorney in Maryland in its “Top Lawyers” list. In 2022, he was inducted into Washingtonian’s Top Lawyers Hall of Fame.
Prior to joining Lerch Early in 1984, Stan gained extensive trial and appellate experience from his work in Public Defender’s Offices in Vermont, Michigan, and the District of Columbia, and as an Assistant Federal Public Defender for the District of Maryland. He also served as law clerk to the Honorable Harold H. Greene, U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia.
Outside the office, Stan bleeds Michigan blue and Washington Capitals red when his favorite sports teams compete.
- University of Michigan Law School (J.D., cum laude, 1977)
- Brandeis University (B.A. in Philosophy, magna cum laude, 1974 – Phi Beta Kappa)
- District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court, District of Maryland
- U.S. District Court, District of Columbia
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 4th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, District of Columbia Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Tax Court
- Law clerk to the Honorable Harold H. Greene, U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia.
Honors and awards
- Inducted into Washingtonian Top Lawyers Hall of Fame (2022)
- Named to Top Attorney List by Bethesda Magazine (2019, 2021)
- Chambers USA “Leader in the Field” (2007-present)
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America, Appellate Practice, Commercial Litigation, Criminal Defense: General Practice, Criminal Defense: White-Collar, Ethics and Professional Responsibility Law (2007-present)
- Named The Best Lawyers in America’s Washington, DC Ethics and Professional Responsibility Law “Lawyer of the Year” (2018, 2013)
- Listed in Super Lawyers Business Edition (2012- present)
- Fellow of the Litigation Counsel of America (2012-present)
- Listed in Super Lawyers Maryland, Criminal Defense: White Collar (2008-present)
- Listed in Super Lawyers Washington, DC, Criminal Defense: White Collar (2008-present)
- Ranked AV Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Ratings
- Washingtonian Magazine “Top Trial Lawyer” (2007), “Elite Criminal Defender” (2009), “Crime & Punishment-Criminal Defender” (2011), “Criminal Defense” (2013), “Criminal Defense: White Collar” (2015, 2017)
- Maryland State Bar Association
- District of Columbia Bar Association
- Bar Association of Montgomery County, Maryland (former Chair, Federal Bar Practice Section; Member, Judicial Selection Committee)
- Maryland Bar Foundation (Fellow)
- Federal Bar Association (Board of Governors of Maryland Chapter 2003-present)
- American Bar Association
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers (NACDL)
News & insights
Eight Lerch Early attorneys have been recognized by Washingtonian on its 2023 Top Attorneys lists. Divorce attorneys Erik Arena, Erin Kopelman, and Deborah Reiser; employment attorney Marc Engel, estates and …
Three Lerch Early principals have been inducted into the Washingtonian Top Lawyers Hall of Fame. Estates/Trusts attorney Frank Baldino, litigator Stan Reed, and divorce attorney Deborah Reiser were recognized in …
Multiple lawyers from several Lerch, Early & Brewer practices recently were selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2023. Four Lerch Early attorneys have been named to the Ones …
Chambers USA 2022: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business recognized Lerch Early in the areas of Litigation: General Commercial and Real Estate. Litigation: General Commercial Chambers describes the team as “notable for advising businesses …
Multiple Lerch Early attorneys have been selected for inclusion in the 2022 Washington, DC Super Lawyers and “Rising Stars” lists. Super Lawyers is a listing of outstanding lawyers from more …
Multiple Lerch Early attorneys have been selected for inclusion in the 2022 Maryland Super Lawyers and “Rising Stars” lists. Super Lawyers is a listing of outstanding lawyers from more than …