Bill Goldberg is a litigator who represents companies and individuals facing a variety of complex commercial disputes. He also represents personal representatives, trustees, beneficiaries, and charitable organizations in estate and trust litigation. Bill’s broad litigation practice in these areas includes significant trial and appellate experience in the state and federal courts of Maryland, the District of Columbia, and Virginia, as well as alternative dispute resolution. He chairs Lerch Early’s litigation practice.
Bill views litigation as a way to solve his clients’ problems so they can return to what they do best: running their businesses. Clients praise him for his enthusiasm and dedication to their cause, and Bill considers it his responsibility to pay that trust back. After meeting with Bill, clients leave knowing things are under control because he makes their challenges his own.
Business owners, general counsel, corporate officers, and other professionals rely on Bill’s sound, practical legal advice. His clients benefit from his objective counsel on how litigation may affect their business interests, as well as from his clear explanations of the pros and cons of different approaches to achieving their goals.
He is experienced in complex business litigation, including claims involving fraud and breach of fiduciary duty, contract and real estate disputes, non-compete and trade secret litigation, shareholder disputes, and business divorces.
Estate and Trust Litigation
Bill’s business and litigation background forms the basis of his estate and trust litigation practice. He represents beneficiaries, trustees, and personal representatives in estate litigation involving their rights and obligations under trusts and wills, claims of undue influence, and lack of capacity. He also litigates disputes involving fraudulent conveyances, lifetime transfers, and the removal of fiduciaries.
Bill, who is originally from Long Island, enjoys traveling to the beach in Florida with his wife and their twin boys and golfing at public courses around the Washington, DC area, especially Whiskey Creek.
- University of Wisconsin Law School (J.D., with honors, 2001)
- Wesleyan University (B.A. in Economics, 1994)
- District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court, District of Maryland
- U.S. District Court, District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 4th Circuit
Honors and awards
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America, Commercial Litigation (2018-present)
- Named to Top Attorney List by Bethesda Magazine (2019)
- Listed in Maryland Super Lawyers, Litigation (2014-present)
- Listed in Washington, DC Super Lawyers, Litigation (2014-present)
- Listed in Super Lawyers Business Edition (2014)
- Named “Rising Star” in Business Litigation by Maryland Super Lawyers (2010-2012)
- Gifts for the Homeless (Board of Directors 2014-2016)
- Leadership Montgomery (Board of Directors, 2016-present; Core Class of 2015)
- Wonders Early Learning and Extended Day (Board of Directors, 2016-present)
- Maryland State Bar Association
- District of Columbia Bar Association
- Virginia State Bar Association
- Bar Association of Montgomery County, Maryland (Co-chair, Commercial Litigation Section, 2017-present)
News & insights
Beware the ‘Confidential Relationship’: How to Handle Gifts from Your Elderly Parents You’ve taken care of your elderly mother for years – taking her to doctor’s appointments, grocery shopping, even …
Bill Goldberg Elected to Board of Gifts for the Homeless Litigator Bill Goldberg has been elected to the board of directors of Gifts for the Homeless, a wholly volunteer-run organization …
Bill Goldberg Selected for Leadership Montgomery Class of 2015 Litigation attorney Bill Goldberg recently was selected as a member of Leadership Montgomery's Class of 2015. Leadership Montgomery brings together current …
Bill Goldberg Speaks on Common Estate Litigation Issues Litigator Bill Goldberg recently spoke about estate litigation at "Estate Administration Procedures: Why Each Step Is Important," a seminar presented by the National …
COVID-19 Litigation – What Business Owners and Their Advisors Need to Know In addition to the crushing human toll, the COVID-19 pandemic has created enormous uncertainty in the business community. …
Five Common Errors Out-of-State Attorneys Make When Filing Complaints in Maryland Circuit Court Despite many similarities in the procedural and substantive rules applied in state courts across the country, many …
Lerch Early Attorneys Named to 2022 Best Lawyers in America More than three dozen lawyers from Lerch, Early & Brewer recently were selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in …
Lerch Early Participates in Summer Scholars Pipeline Program Lerch, Early & Brewer again participated in the Summer Scholars Pipeline Program in 2013, hiring Yisel Valdes as a summer law clerk. Yisel …
Lerch Early Welcomes 2014 Summer Scholars Pipeline Program Law Clerk For the fourth consecutive year Lerch, Early & Brewer is participating in the Summer Scholars Pipeline Program, hiring Nida Kanwal as a …
Lerch Early Welcomes 2015 Summer Scholars Pipeline Program Law Clerk For the fifth consecutive year Lerch, Early & Brewer is participating in the Summer Scholars Pipeline Program, hiring Mary Clark as …
Litigator Bill Goldberg Elected to Leadership Montgomery Board Litigator Bill Goldberg was elected to the Leadership Montgomery board of directors. Leadership Montgomery brings together current and emerging leaders to make Montgomery …
Litigator Bill Goldberg Named to Super Lawyers Top 100 Lawyers in DC List Washington, DC Super Lawyers for 2019 named litigator Bill Goldberg to its Top 100 Lawyers in DC …
Litigator Bill Goldberg Speaking on Best Practices for Taking and Defending Business Entity Depositions
Litigator Bill Goldberg Speaking on Best Practices for Taking and Defending Business Entity Depositions Litigator Bill Goldberg will be speaking to the Bar Association of Montgomery County, Maryland on "How …
Maryland High Court Declines to Declare the ‘Dinosaur’ of Contributory Negligence Extinct To the great relief of defendants and liability insurers covering claims in Maryland, the Maryland Court of Appeals …
Success Story: “Fighting Words” Doctrine Protects Community Association Residents Thanks to Bill Goldberg, one of the firm’s litigation principals who has represented community associations, Maryland’s Court of Special Appeals recently …
Success Story: Homestead Tax Credit Claim for Co-op Non-Residents Dismissed Bill Goldberg, a litigator at Lerch, Early & Brewer, prevailed at trial by persuading a Circuit Court judge to dismiss …
- Estates/Trusts: Lead counsel in lawsuit brought by a religious organization attempting to secure bequest under the Last Will and Testament of a congregant, resulting in full award to client after four-day bench trial in DC Superior Court.
- Estates/Trusts: Lead counsel in lawsuit brought by an Estate to invalidate alleged will of decedent, resulting in million dollar award to the Estate after three-day bench trial in DC Superior Court.
- Estates/Trusts: Represented co-settlor of $20 million irrevocable trust brought by beneficiary seeking to reform the trust resulting in dismissal of all claims in Montgomery County, Maryland.
- General Commercial: On behalf of a large residential home building company, obtained full summary judgment on contract claim regarding the purchase of membership interests in the company worth $730,000.
- General Commercial: Served as lead counsel for an international leasing company in complex, multi-party litigation involving national labor union and large commercial banks concerning claims of fraud, fraudulent inducement, breach of contract, and conspiracy.
- General Commercial: Represented a board member of an international flavoring company against claims of misappropriation and breach of fiduciary duty; obtained summary judgment against plaintiff in the U.S. District Court, which was affirmed by the 4th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Estates/Trusts, General Commercial: Represented a family and related trusts in five-day trial against a regional bank in which the family sought to invalidate a series of commercial agreements, including multiple life insurance assignments, resulting in a $1.5 million award to our client.
- General Commercial: Represented the former executive producer of a nationally known television program in a breach of contract action relating to ownership interest in The Crime Museum in Washington, DC.
- General Commercial: Represented national retail chain in response to comprehensive document subpoena, including all aspects of retrieval and production of e-discovery.
- Estates/Trusts: Litigated as lead counsel in contested estate matter resulting in the Orphans’ Court requiring the personal representative to return $100,000 in excess compensation to the estate for distribution to our clients, the beneficiaries.
- Estates/Trusts: Represented client in complicated trust litigation and obtained favorable settlement weeks after filing complaint for misrepresentation and before any discovery was taken.
- Community Associations: Represented the board of directors of Maryland’s largest cooperative housing corporation against shareholder claims of breach of fiduciary duty in a two-day bench trial. Prevailed before the Maryland Court of Special Appeals, which affirmed the trial court verdict.
- Community Associations: Represented the board of directors of a large homeowners association in defamation action in a three-day jury trial and obtained a favorable verdict, and before the Maryland Court of Special Appeals, which affirmed the verdict in a published opinion.
Disclaimer: Each case is different and past results do not guarantee similar results in future matters.
- Mead v. Lindlaw, et. al, 839 F. Supp. 2d 66 (D.D.C. 2012)
- Davidson v. Seneca Crossing Section II HOA, Inc., 187 Md. App. 601, 979 A.2d 260 (2009)
- Tobacco Technology, Inc. v. Taiga International N.V., et al, 626 F. Supp. 2d 537 (D. Md. 2009)
- Chandler v. W.E. Welch & Associates, Inc. et al, 533 F.Supp.2d 94 (D.D.C. 2008)