Jenica Cassidy is an elder law attorney who helps seniors and their families with legal issues relating to aging. She also works with health care facilities and their residents to secure benefits to pay for the cost of care. Her clients appreciate her empathetic approach to difficult and highly personal discussions about aging and end of life, which pave the path for plans that lead to peace of mind.
Jenica works with older adults of all income levels and their family members to plan for and resolve legal issues related to aging, such as long-term care needs, disability, and incapacity. These include guardianships (of the person and of the property), Medicaid benefits and appeals, and special needs planning. She also helps them with estate planning and probate.
In addition, Jenica works with Maryland long-term care facilities on guardianship and Medicaid matters, assisting when individuals are unable to make care or finance decisions for themselves, or when benefits are needed for cost of care. Jenica discusses more about adult guardianship, what it is, and who needs it on our adult guardianship page. She is a frequent speaker and author, presenting and writing on guardianship issues for the National Aging and Law Conference, the American Bar Association Commission on Law and Aging, and The Elder Law Journal.
Jenica’s welcoming demeanor and service orientation makes it easier for people to open up to her about their finances and their fears. She listens intently, and then explains different solutions in plain English so her clients and their families can make decisions for their futures.
Jenica received her law degree from Wake Forest University School of Law and her undergraduate degree from the University of Oregon. She is admitted to practice in Maryland and DC. Prior to joining Lerch Early she practiced at an elder law boutique firm.
Jenica and her rescue spaniel, Harper, volunteer at People. Animals. Love. (PAL), where dogs and their owners visit and provide comfort to nursing home residents, hospitals, and lower-income schools throughout the DC area. A Seattle native, Jenica enjoys hiking, skiing and exploring the outdoors with her husband and young daughter. She is also a fierce sports fan, cheering for her beloved Oregon Ducks and Seattle Seahawks, along with her adopted hometown favorite, the Washington Capitals.
- Wake Forest University School of Law (J.D., 2014)
- University of Oregon (B.A., Journalism, Business minor, 2009)
- District of Columbia
- Judicial Intern to The Honorable Beth Andrus, King County Superior Court, Kent, WA
Honors and awards
- Named to Top Attorney List by Bethesda Magazine (2019, 2021)
- Cornerstone Montgomery (Board Member, 2019-present)
- People. Animals. Love. (Volunteer, 2017-present)
- Bar Association of Montgomery County, Maryland (Member, Elder Law Section, 2015-present; Fellow, Leadership Development Academy, 2018-2019)
- Women’s Bar Association of Maryland (Montgomery County Chapter Listserv Chair, 2019; Member, 2015-present)
- Maryland State Bar Association (Member, 2014-present)
- Greater Bethesda Chamber of Commerce (Co-chair, NextExecs group, 2019-present)
News & insights
Elder Law Attorney Jenica Cassidy Joins Lerch Early Lerch Early is pleased to welcome elder law attorney Jenica Cassidy as an associate in the Estates/Trusts practice. Jenica helps seniors and their families …
Have an IRA? Make Sure You Understand Recent Changes to the Law New legislation has eliminated the “stretch” provision when leaving your IRA to a beneficiary, potentially costing your beneficiary …
Lerch Early Attorneys Named to 2022 Best Lawyers in America More than three dozen lawyers from Lerch, Early & Brewer recently were selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in …
Medicaid May Be Last Resort for Many Maryland Boomers’ Long-Term Care As 75 million baby boomers continue to age beyond the healthy years of early retirement, an estimated 70 percent …
Questions to Ask and What to Expect During an Initial Consultation with an Estates & Trusts Attorney
Questions to Ask and What to Expect During an Initial Consultation with an Estates & Trusts Attorney Meeting with an attorney can be nerve-wracking, especially when discussing your financial future. …
- Presenter, “Restoration of Rights in Adult Guardianship” National Aging and Law Conference, Supported Decision-Making Pre-Conference Intensive, American Bar Association (Fall 2017)
- Presenter, “Roundtable on Restoration of Rights in Adult Guardianship,” American Bar Association Commission on Law and Aging (Fall 2016)
- Presenter, “Ending Guardianship: Handling Termination of Adult Guardianship Orders and Restoration of Rights,” webinar hosted by the American Bar Association (Spring 2016)