Wayne Eig refers to himself as a business and tax lawyer for individuals and closely held entities, providing advice to clients involved in various business, investment, financial and succession planning activities. His clients include individuals, families, and entities, and often a combination of all three working together.
In more than 40 years of practice, Wayne has followed a simple approach: Work hard while trying to listen more than he talks, and then thinking before he acts. Wayne has learned that the role of a small business lawyer is to work with clients to help define and address their goals, and just as importantly, to evaluate and monitor them over time. Whether it is a fairly simple will and estate plan or a complicated transaction involving tens or even hundreds of millions of dollars, the role of the small business lawyer remains the same.
Wayne has lectured extensively, both to attorneys and other professionals, as well as to client groups, and has published articles in the areas of estate planning, tax planning, succession planning and wealth transfer planning. Before practicing law, Wayne was a teacher, and as an attorney, he has continued to teach – both to younger attorneys in the firm, as well as to colleagues practicing in related professions. He regularly hears from his mentees, including some after more than 20 years.
Wayne considers his single greatest personal achievement to be his role in his family – with his wife, his two sons, his five grandchildren and his five brothers and numerous nieces and nephews. He considers his greatest professional accomplishment to be his professional family – that is, the large number of clients and professionals in associated fields with whom he has worked, many for more than 30 years.
- Georgetown University Law Center (J.D., 1973)
- Princeton (B.A., Public and International Affairs, With Honors, 1968)
- District of Columbia
Honors and awards
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America, Best Lawyers: Trusts and Estates (2014-2023)
- Named to Top Attorney List by Bethesda Magazine: Tax (2019)
- Named Top Lawyer in Trusts & Estates by Washington Business Journal
- Named a “Top Trusts & Estates Lawyer” Washingtonian Magazine
- Ranked AV Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Ratings
- Washington D.C. Estate Planning Council (Member)
- Georgetown University Board of Regents (Board Member)
- Kolmac Foundation (Board Member)
Lerch Early’s estate and trust attorneys help people throughout the Washington, DC metropolitan area protect their assets while minimizing tax liability through sophisticated planning and administration.
News & insights
Lerch Early Welcomes 15 New Attorneys
Lerch, Early & Brewer is pleased to announce the addition of 15 new attorneys to the firm, bringing the total number of attorneys to 75 and bolstering a number of …