Deborah Reiser is a divorce attorney who practices in Maryland and the District of Columbia. She is increasingly concentrating her practice on mediation during which, as a third-party neutral, she assists parties in reaching negotiated – not litigated – resolutions. Bethesda Magazine writes, “After 40 years in the family law business, no mediator is held in higher regard than Deborah Reiser.” (“Untying the Knot,” Bethesda Magazine, July/August 2017)
Knowledgeable, responsive, and compassionate, Deborah is committed to understanding her clients’ positions and is seen as a tough and formidable advocate for their interests. Even in the most contentious of situations, Deborah helps her clients weather the difficult times that often accompany divorce with extraordinary wisdom and a sense of humor.
Best Lawyers in America named Deborah the 2016 and 2020 “Lawyer of the Year” for Family Law in Washington, DC. Only a single lawyer in each practice area and designated metropolitan area is honored as the “Lawyer of the Year,” making this accolade particularly significant.
For 13 years, Deborah chaired the firm’s Family & Divorce Law group, which was named one of the Washington, DC. area’s top tier family law practices by U.S. News & World Report/Best Lawyers.
In her spare time, Deborah loves to travel and read.
- Northeastern University School of Law (J.D., 1975)
- Cornell University (B.A. in Government, 1972)
- District of Columbia
Honors and awards
- Named to Bethesda Magazine’s Top Attorney List (2019, 2021)
- Named a Top Divorce Lawyer by Bethesda Magazine (2017)
- Lawyer of the Year in Best Lawyers in America (2016, 2020)
- America’s Top 100 Attorneys “Lifetime Achievement Member”
- Washingtonian magazine “Top Divorce Lawyer” (2007-present)
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America, Family Law (2002-present)
- Ranked AV Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Ratings
- Listed in “Top 10 Lawyers in Washington, DC” by Washington Super Lawyers (2013-present)
- Listed in “Top 10 Lawyers in Maryland” by Maryland Super Lawyers (2013-present)
- Listed in “Top 50 Women Lawyers in Maryland” by Maryland Super Lawyers (2008-present)
- Listed in “Top 50 Women Lawyers in Washington, DC” by Washington, DC Super Lawyers (2008-present)
- Listed in “Maryland’s Top 100 Lawyers” by Maryland Super Lawyers (2009-present)
- Listed in “Washington, DC’s Top 100 Lawyers” by Washington, DC Super Lawyers (2009-present)
- Bethesda magazine “Top Divorce Lawyer” (2010)
- Listed as “#2 Lawyer in Maryland,” “#1 Family Lawyer” by Maryland Super Lawyers (2013)
- American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers (Fellow; past President, Maryland Chapter)
- American College of Trial Lawyers (Fellow, 2001-2019)
- Bar Association of Montgomery County, Maryland (past Secretary, Executive Committee; past Chair, Judicial Selections Committee; past Chair, Family Law Section)
- Maryland State Bar Association
- District of Columbia Bar Association
Lerch Early’s experienced family law attorneys help people resolve separation and divorce issues in Maryland and Washington, DC with the least possible impact on their emotions and their wallets.
News & insights
Three Lerch Early principals have been inducted into the Washingtonian Top Lawyers Hall of Fame. Estates/Trusts attorney Frank Baldino, litigator Stan Reed, and divorce attorney Deborah Reiser were recognized in …
Multiple lawyers from several Lerch, Early & Brewer practices recently were selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2023. Four Lerch Early attorneys have been named to the Ones …
Multiple Lerch Early attorneys have been selected for inclusion in the 2022 Washington, DC Super Lawyers and “Rising Stars” lists. Super Lawyers is a listing of outstanding lawyers from more …
Multiple Lerch Early attorneys have been selected for inclusion in the 2022 Maryland Super Lawyers and “Rising Stars” lists. Super Lawyers is a listing of outstanding lawyers from more than …
Bethesda Magazine surveyed more than 1,700 attorneys who practice in Montgomery County asking them to name the attorneys they would recommend in 29 practice areas. Twenty-three Lerch Early attorneys were …
Multiple lawyers from several Lerch, Early & Brewer practices recently were selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2022. Four Lerch Early attorneys have been named to the Ones …