Attention Employers: A New I-9 Form for Employment Verification Must Be Used as of January 21, 2017
All employers should be using the new I-9 form for employment verification purposes by the time it goes into effect on January 21, 2017.
According to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, changes to the form include:
- The addition of prompts to ensure information is entered correctly.
- The ability to enter multiple preparers and translators.
- A dedicated area for including additional information rather than having to add it in the margins.
- A supplemental page for the preparer/translator.
- Streamlining of certification for certain foreign nationals.
Employers who do not use the form could face a violation of the Immigration Reform and Control Act.
You can find the new form here: https://www.uscis.gov/i-9.
For more information on the new I-9 form, contact an attorney in our Employment and Labor practice.