Stanley Reed is an attorney who heads Lerch, Early & Brewer's Litigation Group in Bethesda, Maryland. His diverse law practice includes the representation of individuals and corporations in complex civil and employment litigation, white-collar criminal defense work, and the representation of lawyers and health care providers in professional responsibility matters. Stan also is noted for his adept handling of politically sensitive cases, grand jury investigations and parallel proceedings.
Chambers USA has named Stan a "Leader in His Field" in General Commercial Litigation every year since 2007. He also has been selected by his peers for inclusion in Best Lawyers in America every year since 2007. He is recognized the fields of Criminal Defense: White-Collar and Criminal Defense: Non-White-Collar, and Best Lawyers named him Washington, DC’s Ethics and Professional Responsibility Law "Lawyer of the Year" in 2013.
Stan was named one of "Washington's Top Trial Lawyers" by Washingtonian magazine in 2007, was listed as one of their "Elite Criminal Defenders" in 2009 and a "Star of the Bar" for Crime and Punishment in 2011.
Prior to joining Lerch Early in 1984, Stan gained extensive trial and appellate experience from his work in Public Defender' Offices in Vermont, Michigan and the District of Columbia, and as an assistant federal public defender for the District of Maryland. He also served as law clerk to the Honorable Harold H. Greene, U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia.
Stan has spoken on a variety of federal criminal and civil law topics, as well as on legal ethics, at professional seminars and conferences. He also served as an adjunct professor of law at the Columbus School of Law, Catholic University of America. He formerly served as chairman of the Federal Practice Section of the Montgomery County Bar Association, and he is also a member of the Board of Governors of the Maryland Chapter of the Federal Bar Association. He is a permanent member of the 4th Circuit Judicial Conference.
Stan attended Brandeis University, where he received his Bachelor of Arts, magna cum laude, and was elected to Phi Beta Kappa. He received his Juris Doctor, cum laude, from the University of Michigan Law School. He is a member of the Maryland, District of Columbia and Michigan bars.
According to sources in Chambers USA, Stan is "the guy you want on your side--he has the experience and the breadth of knowledge." (Chambers USA 2010) The Chambers directory wrote, "Careful and honest," Stanley Reed is highly respected by clients and peers, particularly for his white-collar work. Sources agree that his extensive success in court stems from his "extraordinary sincerity and integrity." (Chambers USA 2007) Clients say they feel comfortable with Reed, as "he makes us party to strategy and educates us before we enter the courtroom." They and his peers "admire his diligence and straightforward approach." (Chambers USA 2009)
Stan enjoys playing tennis, kayaking and Washington Capitals hockey.
Honors and Awards
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America (2007-present)
- Chambers USA "Leader in the Field" (2007-present)
- Named the Best Lawyers in America's Washington, DC Ethics and Professional Responsibility Law "Lawyer of the Year" (2013)
- Washingtonian magazine "Top Trial Lawyer" (2007), "Elite Criminal Defender" (2009), "Crime & Punishment-Criminal Defender" (2011)
- Listed in Maryland and DC Super Lawyers (2008-present)
- Fellow of the Litigation Counsel of America (2012)
- Maryland State Bar Association,
- District of Columbia Bar Association
- Bar Association of Montgomery County, Maryland (former Chair, Federal Bar Practice Section, Judicial Selection Committee)
- Maryland Bar Foundation
- Federal Bar Association (Board of Governors of Maryland Chapter 2003-present)
- Mental Health Association of Montgomery County (Board of Directors)