Stuart Barr is a land use and zoning attorney focused on real estate development approvals through building relationships, strategic planning, and working with expanding businesses.
A long-time Montgomery County resident, Stuart has a passion for large and small projects that make a difference in and around the community. He thrives on working with municipalities to execute great projects to the highest standards understanding that these developments will become part of the community’s fabric.
Stuart concentrates on land use, planning, zoning and rezoning (local map amendments), real estate development and redevelopment, and master plans and sector plans in the City of Gaithersburg, the City of Rockville, and all jurisdictions of Montgomery County. He is highly adept at all stages of development and the entitlement process including due diligence, sketch plan, subdivision (preliminary plan), resubdivision, minor subdivision, site plan and site plan amendment, project plan, record plats, variances, administrative appeal, nonconforming uses, and zoning text amendments.
Stuart also works on a variety of real estate easements, development agreements, impact taxes, Transferable Development Rights (TDRs), Building Lot Termination (BLT), building permit, use and occupancy (U&O) permit, and other permits, water and sewer category changes, administrative law, annexation, and historic preservation (Historic Area Work Permits).
Stuart assists the firm’s retail and development clients with new locations and represents the firm’s institutional clients on expansions with a particular focus on special exception (conditional use) approvals for life care facilities, nursing homes, gas stations, country clubs and golf courses, community swimming pools, and private schools.
In addition, he represents property owners under threat of condemnation (eminent domain) in order to achieve just compensation for their property. Stuart’s clients appreciate his commitment to finding creative solutions to difficult problems, as demonstrated in both his level of detail and his consideration of many options for each challenge.
A resident of Gaithersburg, Stuart enjoys spending time with his wife and two daughters, staying active with the community, playing basketball, and traveling to various destinations, particularly National Parks.
- University of Maryland School of Law (J.D., 1999)
- Lawrence University (B.A. in Philosophy, 1995)
- District of Columbia
Honors and awards
- Named “Exceptional Volunteer” by Gaithersburg-Germantown Chamber of Commerce (2010)
- Named “Rising Star” in the field of Land Use/Zoning by Maryland Super Lawyers (2010-2013)
- Named “Rising Star” in the field of Land Use/Zoning by Washington, DC Super Lawyers (2010-2013)
- Bethesda Chevy Chase Rotary Club (Member, 2011-present)
- Lakelands Community Association (Chair, Design Review Committee, 2014-Present)
- Corridor Cities Transitway Area Advisory Committee (2014-2015)
- Gaithersburg-Germantown Chamber of Commerce (Immediate Past Chair, 2017; Chair, 2016; Chair-elect, 2015; Board of Directors, 2011-present)
- Montgomery County Department of Permitting Services Advisory Committee (2012-present)
- Maryland Building Industry Association
- Bethesda Chevy Chase Rotary Club
- Bar Associations of Maryland and Montgomery County, Maryland
News & insights
Corridor Cities Transitway Coalition Invites Stuart Barr to Join Board of Directors The Corridor Cities Transitway Coalition, Inc. has invited Stuart R. Barr, a principal in the Land Use and …
Kimco Receives Redevelopment Approval for Kentlands Market Square The City of Gaithersburg Planning Commission approved Kimco’s final site plan for redevelopment of Kentlands Market Square. Stuart Barr serves as land use counsel for …
Lerch Early Attorneys Named to 2022 Best Lawyers in America More than three dozen lawyers from Lerch, Early & Brewer recently were selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in …
Montgomery County Adopts Significant Changes to Water Quality Protection Charge (aka the Rain Tax) Attention all property owners in Montgomery County, Maryland! The county has made significant changes to the …
Montgomery County Considers Adoption of Amended Version of 2012 International Green Construction Code
Montgomery County Considers Adoption of Amended Version of 2012 International Green Construction Code Montgomery County now is proposing to do what the state of Maryland did in March 2011 – …
Montgomery County Considers Significant Changes to Water Quality Protection Charge The Montgomery County Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) and the County Executive soon could propose legislation to the County Council …
Montgomery County Considers Workforce Housing While Rockville Deals With “Adequate Public Facilities”
Montgomery County Considers Workforce Housing While Rockville Deals With “Adequate Public Facilities” Montgomery County and the City of Rockville each have worked recently on legislation which could dramatically impact the …
Montgomery County Expands Commercial/Residential (CR) Family of Zones: New CRT and CRN Zones Last year, the Montgomery County Council adopted the Commercial/Residential (CR) family of zones designed to encourage a …
Montgomery County Extends Validity Period for Development Approvals and Enacts Zoning Changes in Residential Zones
Montgomery County Extends Validity Period for Development Approvals and Enacts Zoning Changes in Residential Zones May 2011 Extension for Subdivision Plans and APF Determinations Recognizing the severe economic recession, the …
Montgomery County Zoning Ordinance Rewrite Project Moving Forward Montgomery County planners recently updated developers, engineers and other real estate professionals on the progress of Montgomery County’s Zoning Ordinance rewrite project. …
MTA Names Stuart Barr to CCT Area Advisory Committee The Maryland Transit Administration has named land use attorney Stuart Barr to a Corridor Cities Transitway (CCT) Area Advisory Committee. The …
Rapid Transit Update: Corridor Cities Transitway Project and County Transit Task Force Recommendations
Rapid Transit Update: Corridor Cities Transitway Project and County Transit Task Force Recommendations In May, Maryland Governor Martin O’Malley announced the Locally Preferred Alternative (LPA) for the Corridor Cities Transitway …
Stuart Barr Appointed to Dept. of Permitting Services Advisory Committee Stuart Barr recently was appointed to Montgomery County’s Department of Permitting Services Advisory Committee. The Department of Permitting Services reviews …
Stuart Barr Installed as Gaithersburg-Germantown Chamber Chair Land use attorney Stuart Barr was installed as chair of the Gaithersburg-Germantown Chamber of Commerce at the chamber’s annual celebration and awards ceremony. …
Stuart Barr Named Chair of Economic Development Committee Land use attorney Stuart Barr has been named chair of the Economic Development Committee of the Greater Gaithersburg-Germantown Chamber of Commerce. The committee …
Stuart Barr Named Chair-Elect of Gaithersburg-Germantown Chamber Land use and zoning attorney Stuart Barr recently was named chair-elect of the Gaithersburg-Germantown Chamber of Commerce (GGCC). The GGCC is a business organization that …
Stuart Barr Named to Germantown-Gaithersburg Chamber of Commerce Board Stuart Barr has been appointed to the Gaithersburg-Germantown Chamber of Commerce’s board of directors. “Stuart has been very active on the …
Stuart R. Barr and William A. Goldberg Named Principals Stuart R. Barr who works primarily within the Land Use & Zoning practice group, and William A. Goldberg who works primarily …
- MedImmune/AstraZeneca: Serve as land use counsel for company’s long range planning and development of Gaithersburg campus.
- Home Depot: Represent national retailer to obtain approvals for development and expansion of stores in Montgomery County (Bethesda, Shady Grove, and Aspen Hill).
- Kimco Realty: Represent national REIT in redeveloping Gaithersburg Kentlands Market Square property.
- National Lutheran Home (The Village at Rockville): Represent continuing care retirement community provider in building expansions, special exception, subdivision, and sewer service approvals for nursing home facility, assisted living units, and independent living units across 30-acre campus in Rockville.
- Condemnation Matters: Purple Line and other county property acquisition projects.
- CalAtlantic/Lennar Homes: Development of The Chase at Quince Orchard residential community in Gathersburg.
- Bethesda Country Club, Kenwood Country Club, Montgomery Hospice, Our House Youth Home, and other special exception (conditional use) properties: Secure approvals to expand and maximize use of properties, and enable new construction.
- Landon School, Strayer University, Butler School, Concord Hill School, and other private schools: Represent various private schools on approvals for campus projects and operations.
- Johnson Family property, Hanson Family property, and other large residential property developments: Represent land owners on zoning approvals for residential development.
- Chevy Chase Bank: Represented the company on development approvals for 10+ bank branch locations throughout the region.
- Habitat for Humanity: Represented Habitat on approvals for the construction of a 19-townhome all affordable housing project (pro bono).
- VCA Veterinary Hospital: Represented veterinary hospital on zoning approvals and historic area work permits.
Disclaimer: Each case is different and past results do not guarantee similar results in future matters.