Michael Smith helps national, regional, and community banks get to closing with the best mix of terms and timelines possible. He works with lenders and borrowers in transactions involving automobile dealerships, community associations, construction projects, and government contracting, along with SBA loans.
Michael counsels loan officers and bank executives on how to structure, negotiate, document, perform due diligence, and close commercial transactions. He is particularly adept at helping close complex transactions and commercial financing deals. He frequently advises clients on how they can improve their processes to improve efficiency and decrease costs.
Clients praise him for his diligent, pragmatic, and knowledgeable approach, one noting, “Whenever I have a difficult, or large dollar deal where I want the confidence of a good counsel supporting me, I turn to Mike Smith and [his team].” Over the years, Michael has helped to close hundreds of millions of dollars in loans, including substantial floor plan financing transactions.
Outside work, Michael is an avid runner who recently began a trip to Normandy with his wife and two children by competing in the Mont-Saint-Michel Marathon, one of the few marathons where the participants can see the finish line from the starting line.
- American University Washington College of Law (J.D., 2005)
- American University (M.S. in Justice, Law and Society, 2000; B.A. in Political Science, 1998)
Honors and awards
- Listed as “Rising Star” by Maryland Super Lawyers (2016-2017)
- Listed as “Rising Star” by Washington, DC Super Lawyers (2016-2017)
Habitat for Humanity Montgomery County (Finance Committee, 2012-2019; Board of Directors 2013-2019)
- Maryland State Bar Association
- Bar Association of Montgomery County, Maryland
- Washington Area Community Investment Fund (Board of Directors, 2012-2014)
Lerch Early lending lawyers help national, regional, and community banks, credit unions, and SBA lenders in the Washington, DC area and elsewhere close loans on terms that leave both banks and borrowers happy with their transactions.
Developers, commercial property owners, and investors turn to Lerch Early’s “dirt lawyers” when they need to buy, sell, lease, or develop commercial real estate in the Washington, DC metropolitan area.
News & insights
Treasury Releases PPP Loan Forgiveness Application And Related Guidance On May 15, 2020, the Small Business Administration (SBA) released the long-awaited form of Paycheck Protection Program Loan Forgiveness Application and …
What Businesses Need to Know About Forgiveness Under the Paycheck Protection Program On March 27, 2020, the U.S. Congress passed and the President signed into law the largest relief legislation …
What Borrowers and Businesses Need to Know About the CARES Act and Economic Injury Disaster Loans Relief payments and new, potentially forgivable Small Business Administration (SBA) loans are part of …
Beware These Three Hurdles to Closing Your Commercial Loan After a long underwriting and approval process and seemingly endless loan commitment negotiations, you have your loan approved and you are …
- Closed a $125 million floor plan facility to a regional automobile dealership.
- Structured and negotiated a $4.15 million loan to purchase a personal aircraft.
- Negotiated several inter-creditor agreements for financial institution with multiple creditors in several states.
- Closed several real estate and vehicle floor plan transactions for a regional bank in connection with loans to a major automobile dealership.
- Modified several existing commercial loan facilities to an assisted living provider.
- Closed a $72 million floor plan finance facility to multiple automobile dealerships in Connecticut, New Hampshire, and Massachusetts.
Disclaimer: Each case is different and past results do not guarantee similar results in future matters.