Josh Schmand is a litigation and employment attorney who works on complex business, corporate, and commercial disputes, counsels clients on employment matters, and advises on the risks and benefits of litigation. He is well-versed in litigating in state and federal courts when necessary.
Josh is a determined advocate for his clients, always taking the extra step to uncover and interpret the fine details of a case. He excels at analyzing complicated issues – translating his attention to detail into courtroom success – whether winning dismissal of a wage case against an employer or gaining a summary judgment in a complex labor case.
Josh has worked on cases involving wage and hour claims, wrongful terminations, criminal matters, and commercial disputes, including contract issues, domain piracy, and non-compete agreements.
A Bethesda native, Josh plays baseball, golf, and ice hockey in his spare time.
Montgomery County Circuit Court (Judge David A. Boynton)
Medispec, Ltd. v. Chouinard, 133 F. Supp. 3d 771 (D. Md. 2015)
- Helped client win summary judgment in the U.S. District Court of Maryland for a nonprofit client after an independent contractor fraudulently obtained the administration rights of the client’s website and hijacked the domain name. Every one of the defendant’s counterclaims was dismissed.
- Obtained dismissal in the U.S. District Court of Maryland in favor of a client whose former employer sued for breach of a non-compete agreement.
- Helped client win a trial verdict in Montgomery County Circuit Court, securing an easement that enabled the owner of over 100 acres of landlocked farmland to access and sell portions of the property and its density rights.
- Successfully represented the owner of a multimillion-dollar property in defense of charges that his property renovations violated the community’s restrictive covenants, saving him potentially hundreds of thousands of dollars in construction costs.
- Defended employers in court and administrative agencies against claims of race, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, and disability discrimination and retaliation
- Secured ongoing corporate existence at trial in state court for corporation that allowed its corporate charter to lapse and faced challenges seeking to nullify decades of board actions
- Enforced letter of intent at summary judgment in state court regarding corporate governance disputes, multi-party real estate transactions, and global resolution of related lawsuits
- Successfully represented seller of business in arbitration against private equity investor group in dispute concerning interpretation of the purchase agreement
- Confirmed arbitration award for purchaser of construction facility against multiple appeals to state and federal district and appellate courts
- Obtained dismissal of adverse possession claims dispute, and successfully quieted property boundary line title to client.
- Resolved a complex business dispute concerning contract interpretation.
Disclaimer: Each case is different and past results do not guarantee similar results in future matters.