Susan Reutershan is a land use attorney at Lerch, Early & Brewer in Bethesda, Maryland who has extensive experience in representing commercial and residential developers, individual landowners, corporations, nonprofits and biotechnology companies in all phases of land use and development throughout Maryland.
Susan draws upon her comprehensive knowledge and experience to counsel clients in complex and sophisticated land use matters and to provide sound and practical legal advice. Her representation includes rezonings, special use permits, variances, preliminary subdivision plans, comprehensive sketch plans, project plans, site plans, historic preservation issues, building and occupancy permits, impact fees, water and sewer category changes, master plans, annexations, vested rights, adequacy of public facilities and zoning text amendments.
She represents clients before various administrative bodies in Maryland at the state, county and municipal levels, and in appellate proceedings before Maryland Circuit Courts and Maryland’s Court of Special Appeals and Court of Appeals.
After earning her Bachelor of Arts with high honors from the University of Rhode Island, Susan relocated to the Washington metropolitan area and attended the Washington College of Law of American University, where she received her Juris Doctor. She began her legal career at a land use law firm in Montgomery County, where she practiced for many years as a partner and an associate. Immediately prior to joining Lerch Early, she served as senior counsel in the Montgomery County office of a downtown D.C. law firm. She is admitted to practice in Maryland and the District of Columbia.
Susan has appeared on numerous local seminar panels and has been a panelist at the National Association of Homebuilders’ national convention. She has served as an occasional guest lecturer at the Washington College of Law. She is a board member of Habitat for Humanity of Montgomery County and of Maryland Suburban Commercial Real Estate Women (CREW) and she also is active in the Greater Silver Spring Chamber of Commerce and the Maryland-National Capital Building Industry Association.
A native of Rhode Island, Susan enjoys swimming, reading, playing word games and traveling with her husband and two adult sons.
- Maryland State Bar Association (Real Property, Planning & Zoning section)
- District of Columbia Bar Association
- Habitat for Humanity, Montgomery County (Board of Directors)
- Commercial Real Estate Women (CREW), Suburban Maryland (Board of Directors)
- Greater Silver Spring Chamber of Commerce (Government Affairs Committee)
- Maryland-National Capital Building Industry Association (Member, Liaison Committee)
- Mental Health Association of Montgomery County (past Board of Directors)
- Donocam Associates v. WSSC, 302 Md. 501, 489 A. 2d. 26
- WSSC v. Mitchell & Best, 303 Md. 544, 495 A. 2d. 30
- Howard County v. Pepco, 319 Md 511, 573 A. 2d 821
- JMC Construction v. Montgomery County, 54 Md App.1, 456 A. 2d 931
- Mortimer v. Howard Research and Development Corporation, 83 Md. App. 432, 575 A. 2d.750