Family Law and Divorce Attorney
Mimi Magyar is a family law attorney at Lerch, Early & Brewer in Bethesda, Maryland. A skilled litigator with years of trial and alternative dispute resolution (ADR) experience, Mimi assists her clients in the areas of divorce, separation agreements, child custody, prenuptial agreements, domestic partnership agreements and domestic adoptions.
Mimi is known as a dedicated advocate for her clients, both in and out of court. She helps clients explore alternatives to costly litigation and a “take no prisoners” approach, which can have a lifetime of ramifications. She is skilled in alternative dispute resolution options like mediation and the collaborative process, and is certified in both.
Praised by clients for her kindness and understanding, as well as for her integrity and honesty, Mimi helps individuals chart a course for their futures, set realistic goals and make the decisions that help them rise above the pure emotion of their experiences.
A strong advocate for children, Mimi accepts appointments from the court and private attorneys to act as a Best Interest Attorney, representing children in high-conflict divorce and custody cases involving their parents. In the adoption area, she helps families navigate the domestic adoption process.
Many individuals who are contemplating marriage or entering a domestic partnership also seek Mimi’s practical and forthright counsel. Unlike in the past, when the necessity of these agreements was typically reserved for clients concerned about asset protection, today’s situation is much different. Fueled by the growing number of second marriages and unmarried individuals who live together, there is a much larger spectrum of clients exploring these agreements. Mimi facilitates discussions on a wide range of topics that they should consider, including how obligations from a first marriage may affect a second marriage, how the couple may allocate their assets, and the effect of prenuptial and domestic partnership agreements on estate planning.
Mimi received her Bachelor of Arts from American University and her Juris Doctor from The George Washington University. She is admitted to practice in Maryland and the District of Columbia.
Mimi is listed in the Best Lawyers in America in the field of Family Law and appears in Maryland Super Lawyers magazine, in which she was voted one of the "Top 50 Women Lawyers in Maryland." She was recognized as a “Bar Leader” of the Montgomery County Bar Foundation for her outstanding service to the profession and to the community. She currently sits on the board of governors of the Maryland State Bar Association.
Active in state and local bar associations, she has served on several community service committees, such as the Judicial Selection Committee, Minority Outreach Committee and the Lawyer to Lawyer Committee. Mimi also is a member of the International Academy of Collaborative Professionals, Collaborative Dispute Resolution Professionals and the D.C. Academy of Collaborative Professionals.
Although Mimi lives in Bethesda and enjoys city life, she equally loves spending time walking, hiking, golfing and snowboarding. She is active with the Susan G. Komen Three-Day, 60-mile Walk for the Cure, traveling around the country each year to raise money for breast cancer research. Mimi is an accomplished artist whose intricate ink drawings are displayed locally.
Honors and Awards
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America (2010-present)
- Listed in Maryland and DC Super Lawyers (2011-present)
- Listed in Maryland "Top 100 Attorneys" by Maryland Super Lawyers (2013)
- Listed in Maryland "Top 50 Women Attorneys" by Maryland Super Lawyers (2012-present)
- Named "Rising Star" in Family Law by Maryland Super Lawyers (2010)
- Named "Bar Leader" by Montgomery County Bar Foundation
- Received "Outstanding Committee Chair of the Year" from Bar Association of Montgomery County (2011)
- Received "Outstanding Service" award from the President of the Bar Association of Montgomery County (2007)
- Received "Outstanding Community Service" award from Bar Association of Montgomery County (2000)
- Maryland State Bar Association
- District of Columbia Bar Association
- Bar Association of Montgomery County, Maryland (Secretary 2003, 2011; Co-Chair Circuit Bench Committee 2008-2011)
- Montgomery County Bar Foundation (Board of Directors 2005-2012)
- Women's Bar Association of Maryland
- Women's Bar Association of Montgomery County
- International Academy of Collaborative Professionals
- Collaborative Dispute Resolution Professionals
- D.C. Academy of Collaborative Professionals
- Susan G. Komen 60 Mile 3 Day Cancer Walk (Team Captain and Walker 2002-present)
- Montgomery County Habitat for Humanity (Volunteer 2000-present)
- Choose Respect - A Teen Dating Summit (Volunteer 2011-present)
- StoryBook Project (Volunteer 2011-present)
- Shepherd's Table (Volunteer 2011-present)